Error 0xc00007b message appears when you are trying to open an application or game on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Usually this happens after you upgrade from an earlier version of Windows and something goes wrong with certain files or programs.
Error code 0xc000007b means INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT, and generally occurs due to absence or damage of some system or application files. The most common cause of this error – problems with NVIDIA drivers, other video cards are also subject to look at.
You may get an error message that says:
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b). Click OK to close the application.
However, there may be other reasons for this error: incorrect shutdown of the computer, interrupted installation of updates or deletion of programs directly from the installation folder. In addition, the error can be related with some damage in the files of the following programs: Direct X, .NET Framework or Microsoft Visual C++.
Other root causes 0xc00007b error mainly generates because of mixing up 32 bit environment with 64 bit one. It means you have a 32 bit application that attempts to load a 64 bit dll. Such error may also appear while playing PC games. Most frequently happens with these games:
- Watch Dogs ( Watch_Dogs.exe )
- Call of Duty: Ghosts ( iw6mp64_ship.exe )
- The Elder Scrolls Skyrim ( SkyrimLauncher.exe )
- Child of Light ( ChildofLight.exe )
- Dirt 3 ( dirt3_game.exe )
- Diablo 3 ( Diablo III.exe )
- Assassins Creed IV Black Flag ( AC4BFSP.exe )
- Just Cause 2 Multiplayer ( JcmpLauncher.exe )
- Battlefield 4 ( bf4.exe )
- GTA V
Fix Error Code Error 0xc00007b on Windows
Here are some methods to test one by one. Before trying them, don’t forget to check your Windows System with any antivirus as sometimes this is due to some virus in your computer.
Fix Error Solution #1: Update your NVIDIA video card drivers.
The first action we would recommend before performing any others – to update the drivers for your video card, especially if it’s NVIDIA. Go to Official website nvidia.com and find the needed driver for your video card. You can download the latest drivers, install and restart the computer. It is very likely that the error will disappear after that.
In Nvida website, there are three ways that you can select your drivers:
- Manual Driver Search – Search and select the correct driver.
- Automatic Driver Updates – Use the Nvidia GeForce Experience program to manage driver updates.
Fix Error Solution #2: Use “Run as Administrator” Option
Some software requires running as an administrator privilege, it could fix error 0xc000007b.
When you right click the icon of the application that returns this error, you will find a menu where you need to select the option “Run as Administrator.” This option may help you in fixing this error. Follow the instructions:
- Right click on the application .exe file.
- Click on the option Run as administrator.
If you get this tip working for your application, you need to set it “Always Run As Administrator” to avoid getting this error in future. Follow the instructions:
- Right click on the icon of the application and select “Properties” at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- You will see the properties where you need to search for the Tab “Compatibility”, click on this tab.
- You will find the option “Run this program as an Administrator” at the bottom of the box. Just mark the box to activate it and click “OK” and “Apply” to make the changes.
Fix Error Solution #3: Run Application in Compatibility Mode.
Sometime the application you are using is not compatible with your system. To fix this issue you have to try run these apps in compatibility mode. This is basically effective for the games which requires high system configuration like Far Cry, Call of Duty, Fifa, Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs and many others.
- Right click on Application icon –> Click on Properties;
- Click on Compatibility tab;
- Check-up the box named Run this program in compatibility mode for;
- In the drop-down menu select an earlier version of Windows;
- Click Apply, and then OK.
Fix Error Solution #4: Reinstall the Game/Program.
If you are receiving this error in any program or game, you need to delete all from the system, reboot your Windows System and then re-install it. This time, the antivirus program installed in your system should be turned off.
*Do not choose any other drive for your program. Just install it to the system drive that is generally “C:/”.
Fix Error Solution #5: Check system files integrity.
Usually, if you perform a hard disk checking process, you can possibly fix this error. You just need to use “Disc error checking” option for this purpose.
- Just right-click “C:/” drive if it is your system disk.
- Select “Properties” at the bottom of the list.
- In “Tools” Tab, you will find the feature “Check” that checks the system errors and removes them. You need to click this option.
Fix Error Solution #6: Repairs the corrupted or broken system files.
You should run a scan to check the system files. It detects and repairs the corrupted or broken system files automatically.
- Click “Start” and type “Command Prompt” in the search function. Once it appears in the search results, you should right-click it and select the option “Run as Administrator” from the context menu.
- Now the Command Prompt window appears. Type here “sfc /scannow” and press Enter key.
- The scan process starts now. You should have the patience for some time now until the verification percentage reaches to 100% and shows you the result. Don’t close the window until it verifies all the files.
If you receive an error Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files, run the following commands:
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Fix Error Solution #7: Install Compatible Visual C++
Try to install Microsoft Visual C++ because this error message may happen on operating systems when the Microsoft Visual C++ Package is not correctly configured.
If you are using a 64-bit version System and you install a 32-bit version of VC++, it will create an error. So, the compatible version of VC++ is necessary. You should install a 64-bit version of VC++ if your system is 64-bit Windows.
Official Microsoft link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
Fix Error Solution #8: Windows Update.
Sometime this problem may appear due to the update problems.
Microsoft regularly patches latest discovered holes, adds malware definitions to its Windows Defender and Security Essentials utilities.Through downloading the patches released by Microsoft you can installs the missing drivers and updates the outdated ones like graphic card drivers.
- Go to the “Start” and type “Windows Update” and press Enter. It will appear in the search results. You need to select the option “Check for Updates.”