Playing games on Xbox is great, but sometimes certain errors can occur that prevent you from enjoying in your favorite games. Users reported The game could not start Xbox error on their console, so today we’re going to show you how to fix this error.
You see the following error message when try to use an Xbox 360 Dashboard feature or play an original Xbox game on your Xbox 360 console:
The game could not start. Please download the game again. For more help, go to www.xbox.com/support.
Fix Xbox Error “Game could not start”
Fix Error Solution #1: Delete the latest system update
Users reported this error message while using Xbox Dashboard features, and this usually means that there’s a problem with the latest console software update. To fix this problem, you need to delete the last update and download it again. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings and select System Settings.
- Choose Storage.
- Now press the left bumper, right bumper, X. Repeat this step one more time.
- If you performed the previous step correctly, you’ll see Delete System Update message. Select Yes.
- Console will now remove the latest update and restart itself.
- After the console restarts, you need to download the latest update again.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to download the update immediately, but you won’t be able to sign in to Xbox Live until you do.
Fix Error Solution #2: Install the latest Xbox update
If you’re getting Game could not start error, you might want to try updating your Xbox. The easiest way to do that is to connect to Xbox Live. This is a simple process and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press the Guide button on your controller.
- Choose Settings > System Settings.
- Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network.
- Now choose Test Xbox Live Connection.
- If prompted to instal the update, select Yes.
If you can’t access Xbox Live for some reason, you can download the update on your PC and move it to a USB flash drive. To do that, follow these steps:
- Download the latest Xbox update on your PC.
- The update will be stored in a .zip file, therefore you need to extract it first.
- After that, copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory of your USB flash drive.
- Connect the USB flash drive to your console and restart it.
- After your console restarts the update installation process should start immediately.
If you decide to use a USB flash drive to install the update, keep in mind that you’ll need to use a USB flash drive with FAT32 file system. If your USB flash drive isn’t FAT32, you’ll need to reformat it as a FAT32 device.
If you don’t have an extra USB flash drive, you can also download the update and burn it to a DVD or CD and install it that way. The process is almost identical, except you have to use a CD/DVD burning software.