INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (error code 0x0000007b) causes Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) after the Windows 10 upgrade, Windows 10 reset or the Windows 10 anniversary update. If you encounter a blue screen with error massage INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE as you can see in the picture below, go on the reading for solutions of stopping 0x0000007b blue screen in Windows 10.
The INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE blue screen of death, is displayed during Windows startup and for that reason the user has no option to troubleshoot the problem by using the classical methods, like Windows Repair, Safe Mode, System Restore, etc..
A message will appear on your screen that reads:
Your PC ran into a problem and need to restart. We´re just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
STOP: 0x0000007B refers as INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. It is caused mainly by device driver issues. (errors on your Hard Drive, RAM, etc.) means computer is unable to access the hard disk where boot records are stored. The 0x7B error may occur because of viruses, data corruption or because of other hardware failures’.
File system initialization might have failed because it did not recognize the data on the boot device. Also, repartitioning the system partition, changing the BIOS configuration, or installing a disk controller might induce this error.
FIX INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error
Fix Error #1: Classical Methods
STEP 0: If you fail to boot Windows 10 after receiving INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error message on the screen, you can check the hardware you added recently, for example, hard disk drives. Some problematic hardware whose firmware version may be incompatible with Windows 10 can cause conflicts
STEP 1: The most common method is to Restart your computer. Sometimes the STOP 0x0000007B ERRORs are temporary because your computer failed to start-up properly. By restarting your computer, you give the chance to your computer to start-up properly. If it does not fix then move to the next step.
STEP 2: If you recently made some new configurations on your drivers or computer in general, then you can Start-up your computer with Last Known Good Configurations option by pressing F8 Key. If your computer start-up and the error stops appearing, then the fault it’s on the configurations you made.
STEP 3: If the problem still persists then you can use the System Restore that Windows provide you. If you do so, you can see if the error occurred because of the recent changes you made.
Fix Error #2: Check System Files
You can also check Windows system files after the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error in Windows 10. Windows System File Checker is a tool in Windows 10 that can help to repair broken system files and restore corrupted files. To run System File Checker, follow this:
- 1. Launch Command Prompt (Admin) from the Jump List.
- 2. Type SFC /scannow into the dialog box and hit Enter.
- 3. If you see Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them on the screen, enter the safe mode and repeat 1 and 2 to repair the broken system files. Windows will scan the PC automatically
Fix Error #3: Set SATA Mode to AHCI in BIOS Settings
1. Power On your computer and press the appropriate key (DEL or F1 or F2 or F10) to enter BIOS settings.
* Note: The way to enter into BIOS Settings depends on the computer manufacturer. To Enter into your BIOS Settings, pay attention at the first screen as your computer starts and try to find a message like this: "DEL to enter setup" "Press ESC to Enter Setup" "BIOS Configuration: F2"
"F10 to Enter Setup"
2. Load Default Settings (Load Optimal Defaults)
3. Then look at all BIOS screens to locate the SATA Configuration setting.*
* Note: This setting is usually found under the Advanced section and can be named (depending on manufacturer) as: "SATA Mode" or "SATA Controller Mode" or "SATA Operation" or "Configure SATA as".
4. Make sure that the SATA Mode (Type) is set to AHCI or IDE and NOT in RAID.*
1. Caution: If you have configured two or more Hard Drives in RAID mode, then leave this setting as is, exit from BIOS setup without saving and continue to the next solution.
2. If the SATA Mode is set to AHCI then change it to IDE. If the SATA Mode is set to IDE then change it to AHCI.
5. Save Changes and Exit BIOS Settings and try to boot on Windows.
6. If your computer doesn’t boot again, then revert the SATA setting back to what it was and proceed to the next method.
Fix Error #4: Chek hard disk corruption
There is a way for you to cross-check the hard disk corruption. Use the command chkdsk. You can repair the hard disk by using the command chkdsk.
- Click on the Windows terminal box. You will be displayed in the search box. Type the word “command prompt” into the box.
- You will get the display of command prompt immediately. Type the command “chkdsk c: /r”.
- In the terminal box, you can observe the process of command “chkdsk c: /r”. Once if the process gets completed, please restart the system again.
Check whether the Windows STOP: 0x0000007b is fixed or not. Though it appears again you have to try another chance.
Fix Error #5: Fix MRB
Try another command “fixmbr”. Due to the error obtained from corrupted master boot record, you might have received the error message Windows STOP: 0x0000007b. The system will create the new master boot to record the manipulation of system activities.
- Click on the terminal box and type command prompt in the box.
- Then type the command “fixmbr”. Once if the process completed then restart the system again.
- Cross check whether the error message appears or not.