The error 0x8007042c is associated with a number of issues in Windows. For some users, this error appears and prevents them from downloading the latest Windows 10 updates, others also get this error on any operation in the Windows settings telling you some network problems were detected or you’re not connected. This error has also occurred to users upgrading to Windows 10.
This issue is caused when Windows Update, Windows Firewall, and some related services are not running. The presence of 3rd party antivirus application have also caused this issue. Starting the stopped services or temporarily uninstalling your antivirus should fix this issue.
That aside, when users first encounter this error, it typically manifests itself in the following way:
Windows Update: There were problems installing some updates, but we´ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help (0x8007042c)
Windows Firewall can’t change some of your settings. Error code 0x8007042c
Fix Error Code 0x8007042 – Windows 10 Update
Fix Error Solution #1: View if Windows Services are running
- Press Windows Key + R then type services.msc in the run dialog and click Ok to open the Windows Services Console.
- Search the following services: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) – Cryptographic Service Windows – Update – MSI Installer
- Right-click on each of them and then select Properties. Make sure their Startup type is set to Automatic.
- Now if any of the above services are stopped, make sure to click on Start under Service Status.
- Next, right-click on Windows Update service and select Restart.
- Right-click on Windows Update Service and select Restart
- Click Apply followed by OK and then reboot your PC to save changes and try installing the Windows Update.
See if you are able to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x8007042c, if not then continue with the next method.
Fix Error Solution #2: Rename Software Distribution Folder
- Press Windows Key + X then select “Command Prompt“. (Run as administrator)
- Now type the following commands to stop Windows Update Services and then hit Enter after each one: (one by one)
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Next, type the following command to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then hit Enter: (one by one)
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- Finally, type the folowing command to start Windows Update Services and hit Enter after each one: (one by one)
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Reboot your PC to save changes.
Fix Error Solution #3: Disable Antivirus and Firewall (Temporarily)
- Right-click on the Antivirus Program icon from the system tray and select Disable.
- Next, select the time frame for which the Antivirus will remain disabled. Note: Choose the smallest amount of time possible for example 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
- Once done, again check if the error resolves or not.
- Press Windows Key + I then select Control Panel.
- Next, click on System and Security.
- Then click on Windows Firewall.
- Now from the left window pane click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall and restart your PC. And see if you’re able to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x8007042c.
If the above method doesn’t work make sure to follow the exact same steps to turn on your Firewall again.