In some scenarios, Error 0xC004F012 can be interpreted as “The Software Licensing Service reported that the call has failed because the value for the input key was not found.” Technically, this indicates that the licensing repository on the system was either missing, overwritten or corrupt.
If you are trying to activate your Windows 10 and facing the Activation Error Code 0xC004F012, then it is not a new thing. Sometimes, the Windows 10 activation is not easy and you may get this error very often. Sometimes the error occurs during first time activation, and sometimes during a major upgrade in which the activation status is lost.
The error message which you can see on your screen while clicking the watermark at the bottom-right is:
Windows can’t activate right now. Try activating again later. If that doesn’t work, contact support Error code: 0xC004F012
The Software Licensing Service reported that the call has failed because the value for the input key was not found.
Fix Windows Activation Error 0xC004F012
Fix Error Solution #1: Rebuild Activation Tokes file
This method is considered as the accurate one and always works for this Activation Error. So, to activate your Windows, follow these steps carefully.
- Open the folder in this location: C:\Windows\System32\SPP\Store\2.0 If you have installed your Windows on a different drive, just replace the C to your Windows drive.
- In the folder 2.0, you will find a file named as “tokens.dat“. Rename that file to ‘token.old’ and close the file explorer.
- Now, Click on Windows button and Search for cmd and you will get Command Prompt as a search result. (Right click on it & select Run as administrator option)
- A Command Prompt window will popup. In Command Prompt, enter the following lines. You can Copy the Command given below & paste it in Command Prompt & Press Enter to run them. (You need to press Enter after each line of command and wait for the process to complete before you go to the next line.) Note: Run all the Commands line One by One.
net start sppsvc cscript.exe slmgr.vbs /rilc
- Wait for sometime while the command will execute. Once the process will complete, Exit Command Prompt and reboot the system twice.
- After rebooting your PC, now go to Settings and then to Activation. In the Activation windows, run the “Activation Troubleshooter”.
Fix Error Solution #2: Change Windows Product Key
If the problem is with the KMS host not being located in the DNS, you will need to make sure that the DNS has the correct KMS.. The 0xC004F012 error will specify that the file or directory name/ volume label syntax is incorrect. In this case, you will need to change the product key of the Windows as follow:
- First, you have to close all the opened windows and programs of your PC.
- Click on Windows button and Search for cmd and you will get Command Prompt as a search result. (Right click on it & select Run as administrator option)
- A Command Prompt window will popup. In Command Prompt, enter the following code: (In the place of “product key”, write the new product key)
slmgr.vbs.ipk <product key>
- After writing the above code, you have to write another code and hit Enter to activate the product key:
- After this, your windows will be activated. If this method doesn’t work, you can try another method.
Fix Error Solution #3: Activate Windows 10 using your phone
If you have a genuine windows 10 key, you can activate windows by a simple call Microsoft. It is very easy to do.
- Open RUN by pressing on Win + R on the keyboard. Now, Type Slui 4 and hit enter.
- It will open a new window. You will see different country names, from the list of countries, select your country and click on Next.
- You will see some toll free numbers. Just, Call there using your phone. A bot will receive your call. Follow the bot’s instructions. It may ask you to provide your windows 10 installation ID. Just provide it using keypad or touchpad on your phone. Then, It will provide you an activation number.
- Enter the activation number on the activation Window of your Computer and click on Next or Activate.