628 Error: The connection was terminated code is caused in one way or another by misconfigured system files in your windows operating system. You may receive Error 628 in Windows when connecting to Internet or attempting to download some application on your system.
We usually encounter error code 628 while connecting to the internet through modem. This error code can be a result of outdated network drivers, damaged modem cable, or Firewall settings on our Windows system.
Error 628: The connection was terminated.
Error 628: Connection terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed so the port used was closed.
Fix Error 628: The Connection was terminated
Fix Error #1: Check the modem Connection
One of the most common cause of “628 Error: The connection was terminated” is damaged or loosely attached modem cable. Ccheck if your cable is properly connected and is in good state. In case of any discrepancy, properly connect or replace the cable and check if the error 628 still persists.
- Check whether modem is connected properly.
- Check the signal strength shown in modem access manager.
- Unplug the modem and replug.
Fix Error #2: Check Firewall and Antivirus Protection
Sometimes the security software you are using, such as firewall and antivirus software, can block your Internet connection. You should check the settings of the product you use and see if it restricts your network connection. You may need to disable them to solve the problem if necessary.
- Go to search bar (By Pressing Windows Key) and type Check Firewall Status.
- From the left panel, select Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Temporarily turn off firewall protection and check if the error still persists.
- If you are successfully able to connect to the internet, then you can wisely use any good antivirus and keep the firewall protection off.
Fix Error #3: Disable and Enable your Network Interface Card (NIC)
- Press Windows Key + R then type ncpa.cpl and hit Enter.
- Right-click on your wireless adapter and select Disable.
- Again right-click on the same adapter and this time choose Enable.
- Restart your and again try to connect to your wireless network and see if you’re able to Fix WiFi doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error.
Fix Error #4: Update/Re-install Network Adapter
Another common solution that will fix many issues with networking connectivity is to update your network adapter.
- Press Windows key + R key and type “devmgmt.msc” in Run dialogue box to open device manager.
- Expand Network adapters, then right-click on your Wi-Fi controller (for example Broadcom or Intel) and select Update Drivers.
- In the Update Driver Software Windows, select “Browse my computer for driver software.“
- Now select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.“
- Try to update drivers from the listed versions.
- Once the update is complete, reset the adapter by disabling it and then enabling it from the Device Manager screen.
Fix Error #5: Changing DNS settings
The DNS server your computer automatically obtains may not respond sometimes which might cause the “628 Error: The connection was terminated” issue. That is why you need to change the DNS server address to a more reliable one like Googles or OpenDNS.
- Right-click on Windows Logo & select Network Connections option.
- Right-click on your Active Network (your Active Internet Connection that you are currently using and select Properties option)
- From the list of Options, find and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties button situated at the bottom right side.
- A new window will pop up. Just check Use below preferred and alternate DNS addresses and Enter the given DNS settings in it. Preferred DNS Server: 22.214.171.124 Alternate DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
- Press OK button to save the settings.