If you are installing (or configuring) software on your Window 7, 8 or 10 PC, you may see ERROR 2503 followed by ERROR 2502. Fortunately there is both a fix and workaround for this problem.
Error 2503: An internal error has occurred.
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2503 / 2502
Called RunScript when not marked in progress.
Called InstallFinalize when no install in progress.
This error is mostly due to permissions issue with the Temp folder of Windows which can be usually found in C:\Windows\Temp.While the issue is not limited to permissions issue as sometimes virus or malware, incorrect registry, corrupt Windows Installer, incompatible 3rd party programs etc can also cause the error 2502/2503. To Fix this error, please refer to the below-listed troubleshooting solutions.
Fix Error 2502 and 2503 while installing or uninstalling
Fix Error #1: Unregister Windows Installer
Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the “Start” menu, click “Run.
- In the “Open” box, type “msiexec /unreg“, and then press ENTER.
- On the “Start” menu, click “Run”.
- In the “Open” box, type “msiexec /regserver“, and then press ENTER.
Fix Error #2: Full access permissions
- Click on Start and in the Start Search bar > type in > c: /windows/installer.
- Right click on c: /windows/installer at the top under programs and click properties.
- Click on the security tab > Verify if System and Administrator account has Full access permissions.
- The Everyone account should have read and execute permissions, List Folder Contents, and Read.
Fix Error #3: Install / Unistall (Windows 8)
- Goto TaskManager > Details > Explorer.exe & click on End Task.
- Now Click on File in Task Manager > type Explorer.exe ( here is the trick ) Check the box below shows as ( Create this task with administrative privileges.)
- Now install / Unistall this should work 100%.
Fix Error #4: Re-register Windows Installer
- Press Windows Key + R then type the following in the run dialog box and press Enter key on keyboard: msiexec /unreg
- Open the run dialog box again and type msiexec /regserver and hit Enter.
- This would re-register the Windows Installer. Reboot your PC to save changes.
Fix Error #5: Set correct permissions for Windows Installer Folder
- Open File Explorer then click View > Options and make sure to check “Show hidden files, folders, and drivers.” Again in the same window uncheck “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).”
- Click Apply followed by OK.
- Now navigate to the following path: C:\Windows
- Look for Installer folder then right-click on it and select Properties.
- Switch to Security tab and click Edit under Permissions.
- Next, make sure Full Control is checked for System and Administrators.
- .If not，then select them one by one under group or user names then under permissions check mark Full Control.
- Click Apply followed by OK.
- Reboot your PC to save changes.